Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pottery Class Session 2 Results!

I am so very thrilled with the results of my second session of lessons at the New York/New Jersey Academy of Ceramic Art. I made nine pieces this session. Most of them are gifts so this first shot is the last time they were all together in one place.

©Cristina Kollet 2011

I made this one for my mother. (I need a better picture.) The dogwood flower was added as an applique. I applied latex to the flowers and stem before the initial glazing. Then I removed the latex and painted the flower and stem with glaze.

©Cristina Kollet 2011

This scoop missing from this bowl was unintentional. It broke off when the piece was leather hard. I like to roll with the "oopses." My niece says it makes the bowl easy to hold.

©Cristina Kollet 2011

I had a vision for the glaze on this one. I am thrilled with how it came out.
©Cristina Kollet 2011


©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

The shape of this one reminds me of the bowls my Dad and I saw in Colorado.
©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

This one I made for my sister. Again I used latex to cover the parts I was going to paint later. (Lesson learned here was to be way more generous with the latex next time so it will come off easier.)
©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

This knot design was drawn on freehand and then covered with wax resist. The design isn't painted. That's the color of bare clay.

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

I used the same technique for this one.

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

This is another "oops!" On the wheel it was a flat plate on a raised base, but it collapsed when I took it off the wheel. I smooshed it and I love the results.  I had help from my teacher, Frank Bosco, with the glaze on most of the pieces. It's a bit difficult for me to bend over the bucket of glaze and dip the piece in and out as quickly as needed.

This one was dipped and airbrushed by my teacher to get the effect I was looking for. I may try the airbrush myself next session as it eliminates the whole bending over buckets issue.

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

This is my masterpiece.  Last time around, I made a huge mug for Paul but the glaze didn't work out right on the inside and it wasn't food safe. This one came out perfect. (Yes, I had Frank do the glaze.)

I used a combination of applique, carving, and etching in the clay. I'm not great at drawing so the fish and divers were actually traced from photos Paul and I took on dives.

©Cristina Kollet 2011



©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

©Cristina Kollet 2011

This class has been a little island of repose amidst the stress of losing my job and helping my cat fight cancer. I can't wait to see what I do this next session!





No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?

(Comments are moderated, your comment will show up soon.)