Saturday, February 4, 2012

Why the World Needs Editors


Part of my work as an editor over the years has been content editing.  I would look for items that could be misconstrued or were unfortunately placed and make changes to avoid possibly embarassing situations for the author or publisher. One gem was a word problem in a sample math test that started with "If you had two blue balls..." 

I think businesses should hire content editors too. They need someone who will do a walk-through, looking at all the signs and logos and the context in which they are displayed. 

Tonight I found myself grabbing a quick bite at a well known fast-food chain. I knew it was not my healthiest meal choice and I was furthur reminded by this sign on display over a counter next to where customers pick up their orders.

Note to self: Eat more salad.
I'm sure some marketing department thought this sign would make customers think "I could go for an energy drink right now." Instead, I looked at my meal and thought, "Eat enough of this and I’ll need a de-fib...but not that kind."


PS:
One of my favorite bloggers, Jenny Lawson (A.K.A. The Bloggess) posted a picture today that supports my thesis. This store also needs an edit. 


(For the record, I would not, could not with a fox...)


No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?

(Comments are moderated, your comment will show up soon.)